Pyndan Camel Tracks is family run camel farm offering memorable, relaxing and informative camel riding experiences in Australia’s Red Centre. We are locally owned and operated and offer a range of camel tours on the privately owned White Gums Cattle Station, up close to the Western MacDonnell Rages. We recommend that passengers make their booking at least 72 hours in advance. Check our availability calendar and book online here.
We recognise the realities of climate change, particularly climbing temperatures in Central Australia and what effect this will have on our ability to live comfortably in our environment and attract visitors to our region. We make every effort to assess our business vulnerabilities to climate change, to reduce energy consumption, and to prepare for potential impacts of climate change.
For conservation we manage our two front paddocks that make up 35% of our property and contain remnant vegetation under ‘Land for Wildlife’ (registered 18/1/2006). We have two composting toilets, rainwater tank, hens and worms for waste recycling, and produce our own electricity through a photo-voltaic system.
As a recognition of our business efforts in ecotourism and our personal approach to sustainability, Ecotourism Australia awarded Pyndan Camel Tracks with Nature Tourism Certification in 2010. Nature tourism supports tourism in a natural area that leaves minimal impact on the environment. In 2020 Ecotourism Australia further acknowledged us as a Green Travel Leader due to our demonstrating commitment to quality and environmental responsibility. The Green Travel Leader logo celebrates 10 years of ECO Certification and represents a long-standing commitment to sustainability. It is awarded to businesses which have consistently proven their commitment to sustainable tourism management over 10 years. This logo provides visitors with the knowledge that an operator has consistently held ECO Certification for a decade and showcases the operator’s commitment to sustainability.
Pyndan Camel Tracks are committed to:
-Managing all aspects of our operations in an environmentally responsible manner
-Proactively and positively influencing, supporting and working with our local community all times
Continuous improvement in our business.
-Maintaining a positive work life balance, which in turn influences our continued passion and our goals to deliver high standards in all aspectis of our business operations
We are involved in climate change adaption strategies and emissions reduction actions for the major areas of our business and personal lifestyle through:
- Product/service consumption;
- Purchasing and suppliers;
- Buildings and infrastructure;
- Machinery and vehicles;
- Travel and transport;
- Marketing and promotions
To ensure environmentally and socially responsible behavior remains an integral part of our operations, we undertake to:
- Aim for environmental best practice in our operations and communicate our efforts and achievements to our clients, business partners and stakeholders
- Maintain the health and well being of our camels
- Conserve and maintain biological diversity on our property through weed management, fire management, the use of only native, endemic plants, minimising areas of disturbance and minimizing the use of fertilisers, herbicides or pesticides on our property.
- Reduce contributions to greehouse gas emissions and improve resilience and adapation to climate change.
- Maximise energy efficiency
- Minimise our use of freshwater resources
- Minimise waste production through choosing to purchase produces with minimal packaging and by reusing and recycling materials whenever possible
- Using only biodegradable, low nutrient and chlorine free detergents and cleaning products
- Advocate and influence the development of effective and humane feral camel management strategies for Central Australia
- Give preference to local producers and local products and when purchasing supplies for business, take into consideration the waste reduction , energy efficiency and resource conservation practices of our suppliers
- Educate our guests and help them to understand and appreciate the natural environment, history and topical issues which relate to our business
- Support and foster local environmental groups and initiatives
- Meet the certification requirements of Ecotourism Australia
- Maintain our compliance with all relevant environmental legislation
Contact Marcus Williams for further information.
Eco-encouragement for our visitors!
We encourage our visitors to be aware that the desert environment is fragile and human interaction within it can cause disturbance to wildlife. We encourage you to have a relaxing experience during your camel ride where you have the opportunity to be immersed in and appreciate the sights and sounds of the bush. As such, limited tour commentary is provided during the tour, which reduces noise pollution and enhances the experience.
Please remember to reuse and recycle during your visit. Look out for our recycling bins for your drink containers or better still, fill up your personal water bottle from our free water fountain in the Camel Lounge. Please don’t throw out our brochures: pass them on to another visitor who you think would enjoy a relaxing camel ride. And give back to our planet by purchasing carbon credits to offset your travels. We suggest through your airline carrier or through Carbon Neutral’s Tree Campaign at http://www.carbonneutral.com.au/mv.html
Other Eco Tourism accredited operators we recommend in our region
A camel footprint in the soft desert sand near Alice Springs.
Passing a Solar Torch.